Wednesday 2 May 2012

Farewell Nairobi

I am writing this having just had my first night in the village. It is quite the place, the house is very comfortable and surrounded by numerous birds and other animals. (Most notably an energetic rooster)

As mentioned, for my last day in Nairobi I went around with the taxi driver from the first night, Njagi, to see the museum before grabbing some lunch and heading to the giraffe centre. I was happy to have some time to spend at the museum because I had felt a little out of the loop around the history of Kenya, but now I feelt that I understand it a bit better.
Who said hippos are dangerous?

After going back to the house quickly for some lunch and to grab my bags, we headed out to the giraffe centre. It was quite the drive, but it did give me another chance to see a bit more of Nairobi, including going past the president's house. I found it a little funny to see an anti-corruption suggestion box outside the menacing army compound, I wonder how much it gets used...(We weren't allowed to take pictures unfortunately) Of course once there, we got to see some giraffes up close and personal.



After finishing up at the giraffe centre by feeding the giraffes a bit, and checking out the otherwise ignored tortoises we headed back towards the city. Since I still had a lot of time before my flight we tried stopping at an animal orphanage but they were charging $20 USD for non-residents to see anything, and I wanted to save my money for another time. We did however keep going and stopped for a short while on a hill that had a good view of Keibera. The endless metal rooftops make it look very quiet, but I am sure that they are just hiding all that is going on underneath. According to Njagi it is mostly Luo who reside in Keibera, who are the main tribe located in Kanyawegi and around Kisumu where I will be going.

After this we decided just to head to the airport to see if I could perhaps catch an earlier flight, and got there a few hours early, but unfortunately there were no earlier flights. I read my book for a while (finishing the first book of the Hunger Games!) as the flight was delayed for over an hour due to a storm that came through. The flight crew that was supposed to be for our flight was coming in from Kisumu, but their flight had to be re-directed to Mombassa because of the weather. As a result we had to wait for the weather to clear up and for another flight crew to come in. All in all I was simply glad at that point to be able to make it to Kisumu, although it was pretty dark by the time we arrived.

Braving the rain to board the plane
 Outside the baggage terminal I was greeted by the smiling face of Maurice, our employee in the village. It was good to now finally meet him, after having talked on the phone with him 4 or 5 times previously. It was too late at this point to catch a mutatu, so we had to take a taxi to the house which was a bit more expensive, but probably quicker than a mutatu. At the house I got to meet one of our “Mothers” while we are here: Ciprose, and she cooked us a delicious meal of rice, lentils and cabbage with of course some soda to wash it down. They were most impressed with my bottle opening technique with my ring! Their reaction was simply priceless.

Anyways, after that I finally managed to convince Maurice and Ciprose that I needed to get to sleep, which allowed me to get unpacked. I got a very pleasant sleep and woke up around 6:30 am. I wish I could do that while at school! Going to bed before 10pm must help though. As I am writing this, we are about to eat some breakfast and then I will be going into town with Maurice to pick up some supplies, seeing the village and the bank and maybe meeting the chief. So I should be quite busy today. Unfortunately the internet connection is not great here, so I will have to add some pictures later, apologies. I had some cool ones of the giraffes and at the museum to show you. Oh well, all things considered I am pretty lucky to have a pretty good internet connection. Take care for now.
Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment